A lot of my clients ask me in regards to the big square box inside the center section of the house’s upper floor ceiling behind a pair of self-closing louvers. It’s an entire house fan and it will either benefit property owners or make living conditions worse.
* Preferably mild climates with cooler and less humid nights
* Use it only when the temperature and humidity outside is much more favorable compared to the conditions indoors. In case your air-con system continues to be operating during the day, as well as the temperature outside drops lower (nevertheless the humidity continues to be high), don’t turn the tumble. The vent will suck all the humid air in your air conditioned house
* The perfect time periods to utilize it will be, naturally, early morning and evening
Should you suffer from allergies, it might not be a great idea to bring each of the pollution to the house. Your window screens will stop some of it, but whole house fans are incredibly powerful and could make you sneeze more than ever before.
1. Prior to deciding to turn the fan on, open as much doors and windows as you can, close fireplace damper and / or glass door, and shut the furnace / hot water heater room doors (if they are louver type, it won’t matter). The suction of the whole house fan (at least with the highest speed) is very great, that without open windows / doors, it can draw air from the outside through any possible openings like, for instance, through the chimney. When it is a fireplace chimney and also you don’t take away the ashes… well, it’s going to be a mess. If it is a water heater / furnace chimney, it may blow off the pilots.
2. When things are ready, you can activate the full house fan in most cases throughout the next couple of seconds you ought to feel lots of exterior air flowing around the house. Unless…
3. This part is essential as opening the doors and windows – both really need to be balanced to operate properly in order to really enjoy the whole house fan operation. Air drawn by the whole house fan must be discharged throughout the attic vents towards the exterior. Otherwise, pressure created from the attic area can cause the atmosphere which had been just pulled from the house to come back with dust and insulation particles through any possible gaps inside the attic wh0le and the whole house fan itself.
Regular attic ventilation may not be enough to assist the tumblr operation; you will need a lot more to transport everything that extra amount of air towards the exterior. And the formula to calculate the square footage of your attic vents required to discharge that air is very simple. You only need the proportions of your rooms:
Example: your ceilings are 8′ high and you have four 10′ x 14′ rooms, one 15′ x 17′ room, plus a 10′ x 3′ hallway (this is simply a sample, calculate all the rooms within your house you think needs to be covered)
10’x14’x8′ = 1120×4 = 4480
15’x17’x8′ = 2040
10’x3′ = 30
Total – 6550 cubic feet
Now you have to divide 6550 by 750, which equals 8.73 sq feet – here is the part of the required attic vents (these combined – soffit, ridge, gable, etc.)
4. In the event the house you’re getting into provides the whole house fan already installed, lets hope that this was properly sized up for the purpose (there can be a tag in the unit itself), which would be to replace your residence air within just a few minutes.
5. If you’re the main one installing the entire house fan, consider 3 or 4 minutes being an optimal time for your house air exchange. To achieve that, you’d have to divide your home total air volume (6550 cubic feet from our sample) by 3 or 4 minutes. Which will give us 1810 CFM / 1357.5 CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute).
6. Yet another essential thing: louvers from the website here are certainly not air tight and possess no insulation placed onto their surface; they leak air between the house and attic. I would strongly recommend installing a huge house fan cover in attic area to prevent air drafts through the cold season – don’t forget to eliminate it when you use the fan again.
Whole house fans are noisy and a lot of people never utilize them, but they might benefit your wallet when you apply the suggestions above. You will find currently other types of house ventilation systems available: they cost more (2 – three times) but very quiet, more efficient, and supply air circulation for longer intervals.